Thursday, October 21, 2010

Under the Sea

As I mentioned in a past post, I have a new hobby-fish keeping! It's an odd hobby for sure, but I really enjoy it.

When Dex and I got engaged, we got a betta fish named Pete. Pete lived for just under a year which is quite a long time considering how clueless we were to keeping fish. After Pete died, I wanted to get a slightly larger tank so I could keep a betta and some frogs. I started looking into aquatic fish and frog care and got hooked. Next thing you know, Dexter came home to this:


A 3 foot long, 20 gallon fish tank. I found it on KSL.com for 50 bucks. Lucky for me, Dex is pretty forgiving and understanding. Which is good because I've spent a small fortune on fish. Here's a few of my beauties:This is one of my otocinclus catfish (I have 2). They are my favorite fish in the tank. They stick to things with their mouth. It reminds me of a suction cup. They eat algae and veggies.
This is one of my two African Dwarf Frogs. The one in the picture is male (the other one is female) They are really funny to watch. They like to burrow in the gravel or climb the plants. They are rather hard to care for though. African Dwarf Frogs are nearly blind, so I have to hand feed these guys or they would starve.




This is a horrible picture of some of my tetra. I have 2 shoals (that means a group of freshwater fish, saltwater groups are called schools) of tetra: 5 Black Phantom Tetra (which is the brown and black fish at the top of the picture) and 5 Glowlight Tetra (which are the orange and silver streaks in the picture). My tetra are too fast to get a good picture of. Sorry.This is my Dwarf Flame Gourami. He's probably the prettiest guy in the tank.

The title of prettiest fish, however, has to go to my doubletail betta named Patriot. Patriot is in a tank by himself since he doesn't play nice with others.

3 comments:

  1. I am seriously thinking about getting Asher a fish for his birthday on Saturday. Walmart had these awesome blowfish that were neon green and black. Asher really likes the fiddler crabs too, but I have no idea about fish:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one of those dwarf frogs. The guy told me they'd only live for a year and half or so.........8 years later I still had him. They are tons of fun. They can smell pretty good so even if you don't feed them by hand and just drop the food in, they find it buried in the rocks.
    They shed their skin like crazy though and the tank can get super slimy and smelly. But it shouldn't be bad with you having a big tank. I'm so jealous! I think I want another one now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amanda,
    If you are still looking to do a tank, let me know. They're not too hard to get started, but they can be a little pricey (the cheapest way is through KSL.

    And Carina, you're frog sounds awesome. I seriously am amazed it lived so long.

    ReplyDelete